pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: List Request

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: List Request
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:52:13 -0700

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:40:24 -0700, Duncan wrote:

> Jim Henderson posted
> <address@hidden>,
> excerpted below,  on Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:43:07 -0700:
>
>> Out of the last 24 messages posted to pan-users, 9 of the messages are
>> spam offerning enhancement pills, low-cost software, or other garbage.
>>
>> Many of those same messages found their way to pan-devel as well.
>>
>> I'm guessing that Lars is correct - your ISP is dropping them.  For
>> those who read through gmane, the S/N ratio is quite high.
>
> Umm... you mean "quite low", maybe?  A "quite high" S/N ratio would mean
> lots of signal, little noise.

Yes, my mistake - it's been a long week this week. <g>

> Regardless, I read thru gmane using PAN itself, so not a lot of filtering
> available (only basic subject-line/author), and while I've noticed a /few/
> spam messages, it's not out of hand by any means, as yet.  I think it's
> been three or four, not the nine Jim mentions.

Looking at subject lines, I see 2 "Hey bro, found this site" one "Hey bro,
check out the huge sale these guys are offering", "What IS OEM Software
And Why Do You Care", "Your account info", "You've received a greeting
from a family member", and "Stop throwing away your money", and two
"Verify Your PayPal Account" messages.  That goes back to 10/18, and is
the group of 9 messages I referred to.

> The idea for making the lists open likely was to allow as many users to
> post as possible.  They can always request messages be sent to them as
> they don't subscribe.  However, I believe spam has become a worse problem
> than it was when the lists were created, most likely.  Perhaps it's time
> to revisit the rules and adjust.  Most of the rest of my lists are
> subscriber only.

Same here.

> I think Charles is the "list admin", however, so it'd be up to him.

Yes.

Jim