pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Reading Pan-saved messages

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Reading Pan-saved messages
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 23:41:45 -0700

Felix Karpfen posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:50:55 +1000:

> My standard practice is to archive postings, using the "Save Attachment
> As.." feature.  The postings end up in my "Pan" directory and are readily
> accessed with any editor.
>
> I would like to be able to access them from within Pan and use the Pan
> options to:
>
> - display just the subject headers; or
> - display the text without the headers (by clicking on the selected
>   subject header).
>
> If it is already doable - then how?
>
> If not - then here is a suggestion for a future feature.

Not doable, yet.  There's no way (yet) to tell PAN to load an arbitrary
file as if it were a news post, tho it has been on the request list for
awhile and is eventually planned (pre-1.0, IIRC).

There are currently big changes underway, mainly the way PAN manages its
backend db.  After that stabilizes and a version with the new code is
released as beta, and after further stabilization, as stable, then it'll
be time to reassess where PAN is in regard to other major requests.  This
backend work has needed done for awhile, however, and was holding up a
number of other things, so it's time for it to happen, and after it does
and gets stable, it's likely it'll be as if a dam burst, and there'll be
dramatic improvements coming quite rapidly in PAN for awhile.  However,
stabilization of the current work will take some time, likely to the end
of the year, at least, tho a couple betas before then are possible.  Note
that due to the degree of change in the code, many of the bugs on the old
code won't be relevant any longer, altho there will be plenty of new ones
to work out.  The same applies, but to a lessor degree, with features.
It's possible the first beta of the new code will retrench in
functionality as compared to the current version in some areas, while
others will have new features either as a result of the new code directly,
or trivially implemented.