pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Starting Pan?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Starting Pan?
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:15:00 -0700

Felix Karpfen posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:22:15 +1000:

> My track-record with this routine is unpredictable.
>
> Today, it worked like a charm.  Ofter nothing happens.  Quitting "Pan" and
> reloading _always_ establishes a connection promptly.
>
> It looks as though the problem is with _my_ ISP's newsserver.  As
> indicated in the other current posting, it appears that other subscribers
> also have problems with the same newsserver.

Ahh...!  That's usually caused by a bad connection, and one side or the
other still thinking a previous connection is open.  That doesn't happen
here often, but when it does, often even quiting and restarting PAN won't
work.  I think it's system TCP socket handling that's causing the issue
here, but it only happens once or twice in a row, perhaps every 3-6
months, on average (IIRC, the last time it happened was late last year),
so it has been fairly low priority. In any case, when it happens here,
I've sometimes had to reboot, to get the thing to clear and start working
again.  As I said, restarting PAN doesn't help. That's why I think it's a
system socket state thing, since the reboot would naturally erase any
existing socket states.