pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: using Mail server requiring authentication

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: using Mail server requiring authentication
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 03:59:40 -0700

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Fri, 27 May 2005 23:56:11 +0200:

> Hello,
>
> Where do I store the login and password for the smtp server?
> Mail mail server require smtp authentication, and I filled the fieds,
> but pan does not ask for login/password, it just stores the messages to
> pan.sendlater.

I don't believe PAN can send directly to authenticated SMTP.  The trick,
naturally, would be to run your own mail server locally (only, perhaps
only listening on localhost), and then telling PAN to route thru it.  The
local mail server would then be responsible for relaying mail thru your
"smart host", that is, your provider's mail service, if you didn't want to
or couldn't (due to the ever more common SMTP port filtering) send direct.
That's actually not an entirely uncommon setup for a Linux system
--running a system mail server service that can be used by all other apps
on the system, and which further processes the mail into local mailboxes,
or relays it on, as necessary.