pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Creating Score question

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Creating Score question
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:30:00 -0700

Gordon Burgess-Parker posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 26 May 2005 20:51:42 +0100:

> I'm trying to create a score of -9999 when any message reference
> contains "googlegroups.com" but when I do this, it seems to put in other
> fields from thie individual article. How can I do this on a "global" basis?

You may well be doing it right.  Yes, PAN /does/ put in those other
fields, but the thing you need to understand is that a % at the beginning
of a line indicates a comment -- that line isn't processed and can be
deleted if desired and it'll still work as it did b4.  (Yes, that /does/
mean that all the beginning/end of score stuff, isn't parsed except as a
comment and is there for the human reader, not the application reading it.)

You don't say what you are actually trying to score, tho, except that it's
the reference line.  If you aren't getting the desired results, it's
possible you don't understand what that header does?  What you are in
effect telling PAN to do is to score /not/ anything directly posted from
googlegroups, but anything replying to it, thus having googlegroups in the
references header, which traces the upline parents that the message is a
reply to.

It's possible what you are /really/ trying to do is score the message-id
header, which would get anything actually posted from googlegroups.  PAN
doesn't have a method for doing this directly.  However, it has been
posted that if you manually add the item to the score file, it works.
Probably the easiest way to do that is to put it in the references header,
then edit the score file by hand and change references to message-id.
I've not tried this, but as I mentioned, it has been posted to work.