pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:13:58 -0800

---- Original Message ----
From: "Jim Reiss" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 17:56

Like thinking *car* when driving a truck is likely to get one in a
bad accident, just clear the Windows out of your thoughts and you
and *nix will likely get along great! :-)

Well I know nothing about Linux except it is supposed to be more
stable and less prone to viruses and worms etc.  Xandros has a GUI
and all the suggestions have been command line inputs which I have
no idea on how to accomplish.
Part of the problem is that it seems no one here uses Xandros, and
Xandros has its own way of doing things in the GUI.  I did a little
googling on this issue, and it looks like there is a GUI method.
Here's what it says:

"Did I say there was an easier way? Yes, and there is. It can all
be done from within Xandros Networks, without having to go to the
command line to run apt-get manually. Open XN (Xandros Networks),
then click on Edit -> Set Application Sources, then enable the
Debian Unsupported site. Once that's done, the expanded universe of
programs will be available to XN to find and install."

If I read this correctly, there's an option to add Debian Unstable
to the Xandros Networks tool, and once you add that source you
should be able to find and download pan.

Thank you for the help, but why would I want to add something that is unstable? Stability is one of the reasons I wanted to see if I could learn to navigate Linux. If I want unstable I can stick with windows.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington