pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:58:19 -0700

Travis posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:47:06 -0800:

> I'm a WinXP kinda guy, use PAN and love it.
>
> So I installed Xandros 3.0 just for the hell-of-it and want to use PAN
> with it.  I go to http://packages.debian.org/stable/news/pan.html and
> see a version for i386.  I assume this is the one I need but I have no
> idea how to install it.  Do I also need the GTK files like I did for
> WinXP?
>
> If these are indeed the files I need please give this Linux total
> dummy detailed instructions.

OK, I only have direct experience with Mandrake (with its urpmi and rpm
system) and Gentoo (with its portage an ebuild system), not with Debian
(with its apt-get and deb system), but use the right installation tool
(probably apt-get, from what I've read of Debian), and it should take care
of all the dependencies for you, installing anything needed beyond what
you already have, assuming, that is, that it can find it in your
configured package repositories, either from the CD(s), or online.

Someone more familiar with Debian will no doubt be able to offer more
detailed help, elsewise google it.  Debian is famous for its dependency
resolution system, being one of the first Linux distributions and /the/
first major one (from what I've read) to have it working properly, so it
really should be simply a matter of getting your package repositories set
up correctly, and learning how to work with that system, and the rest
should be easy.  Of course, decent dependency resolution isn't uncommon
any more, but Debian was one of the first.