pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Does Pan crash when you try to post a message

From: Dave Chand
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Does Pan crash when you try to post a message
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:05:42 -0500

I too recompiled GTK 2.6.1 with the patch from the ximian bugzilla link and now pan does not freeze when posting a blank message.
Dave
On Feb 2, 2005, at 6:06 PM, George Czerw wrote:

** Reply to message from address@hidden on Mon, 31 Jan
2005 11:54:25 +0000 (GMT)

To: address@hidden

George Czerw posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:44:09 -0500:

I'm having the same problem here with long posts, and no lines over the 80 character limit. You can compose your reply, but as soon as you hit the "send" button, PAN freezes up! At first, I thought that it was a problem with the editor, but I've tried all the other editors and the same thing
happens in each of them.

FWIW _ I'm using Mandrake 10.1OE and gtk+2.0-2.6.0-3mdk.

OK, so we know 2.6.1 is bad (multiple confirmations from multiple
distribs), we have one bad vote for 2.6.0, and all reports from 2.4.x seem to say that works, including folks that had problems with 2.6.x but had
them go away when they reverted.

We also have one report from Mandrake Cooker saying Mandrake's 2.6.1-3mdk
works as it has been patched.

Unless there are reports to the contrary, therefore, it appears 2.6.x is
bugged in this regard, unless it is patched to correct the bug, as the
2.6.1-3mdk version appears to be. 2.4.x appears to be fine, and now that we see what's happening, 2.6.1 will hopefully be patched rather quickly
by all major distribs.

I'm going to check out the Mdk changelog a bit more and do some other
checks, and get back to the list, within 24-36 hours (if events haven't
already leapt ahead of me by then <g>). Thanks, everyone, for your
reports. It's helping develop the picture of what's going on far more
rapidly than I would have expected.

OK, I went out to http://rpmfind.pbone.net, searched , downloaded and
installed all of the appropriate gtk+2 RPMs for version 2.6.1-3mdk.
PAN works
fine now!  All of the appropriate warning boxes appear when you try
to post
without a body, when the message is mostly quoted text, when lines
are too
long, etc., etc.

George