pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Turning off warning about long signature

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Turning off warning about long signature
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:37:55 -0700

Jim Henderson posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:07:21 -0700:

> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 21:47 -0700, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Duncan - Newsgroup replies preferred.  See x-munging headers.
>>
>> x-munging1: Usenet replies preferred,  If replying by mail,
>> x-munging2: do ALL the following to avoid the spam traps:
>> x-munging3: 1) Use plain text.  HTML format auto-trashed.
[]

> Clever solution - I hadn't thought of that.  What I do is in my
> signature include a link to a feedback page on my website, so my address
> just isn't out there, similar to the way you handle this.

Yeah, I was quite proud of myself for thinking it up! <g>  Someone had
been discussing custom headers, while in another thread possibly on a
different group, someone was discussing address munging, and the the
solution just kind of popped into my head!  <g>  I'm sure I'm not the
first, however, nor will I be the last, to come up with this on their own.

The website feedback page is a bit more common.

Another solution I've seen, is someone that put his address on his web
site -- but as a gif, with another gif giving instructions for getting
past the filters and etc.  Then he put the link to the site in his sig.
That's almost exactly what I'm doing only using the custom headers instead.

If you control your own mailing domain, another solution I've seen is a
regularly but predictably expiring address, such as
address@hidden, good for January of 2005 only.  The address he
then used was an old one, such as duncan2000.01, with a tag saying in
January of 2000, my address was ...., in January of 2099 it will be ....,
you can figure out what it will be this month.  He then had a script that
activated each box on about the 20th of the previous month, and kept it
active until about the 20th of the next month before deleting it, so each
address was actually active for two months, a third of a month before its
nominal effective date, and 2/3 of a month after, to catch any stray
messages.  The regular expiration and the fact that even while active, the
address was never directly posted, meant that he very rarely got spam even
without intensive additional filtering.  The only problem with this is
that it requires control of your own mail domain, or at least enough
addresses to make reserving the ones you will use well into the future
possible.

Benjamin Franklin