pan-users

[Pan-users] RE: how to get list2news to update (shorter name)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] RE: how to get list2news to update (shorter name)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:28:29 -0700

Robert Lewis posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Fri,
31 Dec 2004 16:43:16 -0800:

> Thank you for your suggestions and constructive criticism; I didn't
> realize that HTML was turned on in my email.

Thanks for taking it in the spirit intended.  =:^)

> Yes you are right. spelling & mind dysfunctional error. on my part. Pam
> must be the kitchen god <g>, rather then the Pan of Greek(?) folklore.

LOL!  Could be!

> I turned HTML off and the message bounced?? But here it is again, using
> a reply you sent me. I hope it gets through.

Don't have the foggiest about the bounce, but yes, this one did get thru.

> Also, I used gmane.org as the server address. Is this correct, nothing
> seems to happen wrt downloading anything however.

No, that's not quite right.  I just gave you the web server URL so you
could read up on it and get the news link from there.  However, the direct
news server address is news.gmane.org.  Plug that into PAN for server
address, and it /should/ work.

Do note that due to occasional abuse, certain subnets and/or domains get
banned once in awhile.  I had been using it for some time and then it quit
working. Seems someone else on Cox here in Phoenix was abusing them and
they had ph.cox.net filtered for a few weeks.  I could connect to the
server, but it wouldn't list groups or allow me to read posts.
Eventually, with a couple requests from me and another guy in the same
boat, he removed the filter.  This isn't likely to be a problem, but if
for some reason you use news.gmane.org and connect, but can't get a group
list, that's why.  If that happens, you can still use the web version, but
that's rather a hassle that I don't like going thru.

I did give you the news server name, but I'd still recommend you go read
the web site (not the web version of the lists if you don't want, just all
the stuff telling about what gmane is and the rules and all that), just so
you know what's going on.  You may also find other lists there you may be
interested in joining.  The Mandrake lists I was on, when I was using
Linux Mandrake, are there, as are the Gentoo Linux lists (I'm using Gentoo
now), and I follow them as newsgroups thru gmane, as well.  Most of the
lists there are computer oriented, some free source stuff like Linux, some
not, but there are a substantial number of other non-computer related
lists as well.  If one you want to follow isn't listed, the site has
directions for proposing that they carry it.  (Do note that some list
admins won't let their lists be carried.)

Also, something else you'll find is that some groups munge email
addresses (as a spam harvester counter-measure on what is after all a
public news server version of what is often a limited distribution list),
while others don't. The site explains all about that and why some groups
(as this one) show up with munged addresses while others don't. That's
just one of the reasons to go read the site, so you find out all about
these things.

Benjamin Franklin