pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Mark all articles "ignore thread" when leaving a group

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Mark all articles "ignore thread" when leaving a group
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:10:14 -0700

Niels Langager Ellegaard posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:10:15 +0200:

> Alternatively I would like to select a set of groups and apply a rule to
> make any unread article in any of the selected groups as "ignore thread".
> (I am able to make the rule, but I don't know how to apply it to a set of
> groups)

Use the rule dialog.  It has two buttons for applying the selected
rule(s). Apply to subscribed groups should apply to all groups on that
server. Thus, one way to manage things if you don't want it to affect
/all/ groups would be to set up two different logical servers that
actually connect to the same physical server, and put the groups you want
the rule to apply to on one server.  I actually use servers as a group
categorizing method here, so all my ISP groups are on one server, all my
other tech/text groups on another, all my music binaries on a third, etc,
but they all can point to the same physical server.

The other button applies the selected rule(s) to selected groups.  You may
simply choose the groups you wish in the groups pane, using the standard
control and shift buttons to multi-select, then hit the button to apply to
selected groups.

Yet another way to do it would be to setup the rules to apply only to
specific groups.  You could then punch the apply to all button and it'd
still only apply to the groups you told it to, because that would be setup
as part of the rule.

I don't know a way to have it do it purely automatically, unfortunately.

Yet another method would be to use the read/unread filters to only show
unread posts.  Then select-all (here, I have the old MSWormOS Ctrl-A
shortcut reassigned to select-all), and score as appropriate.

Benjamin Franklin