pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fit image to Window

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fit image to Window
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:40:36 -0700

Seth Williamson posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:09:19 -0400:

> What are most people using to post binaries with?  I have been using a
> command-line program called newspost, which does the job, but which
> leaves a few things to be desired, as it seems to me.  I haven't found
> another good alternative.

For a GUI program for one-time single-part posts that's already on many
folk's systems if KDE is installed, KNode.  If batch-posting or other
"advanced" features (multi-part, yEnc, tho I'm not positive it does that)
are needed, newspost is the general solution.  Note that there ARE both
KDE and Gnome (GTK?) front-ends to it called knewspost and gnewspost.
However, these may or may not be up-to-date.  Last time I checked,
knewspost, for instance, was still a KDE-2 application, but that was back
during KDE-3.1, IIRC, and since 3.3.1 is the latest, knewspost may have
well been updated by now.  At that time, gnewspost was more up-to-date.
Again, I haven't the foggiest if that's still the case or not.

However, if you are already used to the command line operation of newspost
itself, that's likely the continued best alternative, because you then
only have to worry about /one/ app that can get outdated, not the app, AND
it's GUI front-end.

If you haven't and are decent at scripting, I'd consider creating
bash/perl/python/whatever scripts to do the more common posts with the
more common command line parameters.  Then you only have to invoke a
perhaps 2-4 letter script name, pointed at (for instance) the dir with the
binaries you wish to post, and it'll do the rest.  No having to remember
and correctly type a bunch of exotic command line switches.  With
tab-completion on the dir path, that'd be pretty easy.  One could then go
even further and create a context menu entry for konqueror (or whatever)
that would invoke the script and post everything in that dir.  Posting
would then consist of browsing to where the stuff is you want to post,
dragging it to a temp dir if there's other stuff in the original dir you
DON'T want to post, then invoking the context menu on the temp dir and
selecting "newspost-dir", or whatever you've named the action.  It would
get all the other info it needed out of the script you previously created,
either as hard-coded into the script, or by having the script fetch the
info from a config file.

Benjamin Franklin