pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Fit image to Window

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Fit image to Window
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:08:34 -0700

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:38:58 -0500:

> What do you do with your task-manager window? or do you not use such a
> thing?

General task manager, aka taskbar, or PAN task manager window?

> I personally run pan in tabbed mode; if I'm not looking at a pane, why
> should it be occupying space on my desktop? they're easy to switch
> between.
>
> I also have my task-manager window sitting on the same monitor (of my
> 3-head system http://www.redchrome.org/desk.htm); the window slightly
> offset so that I can switch between them by nudging the cursor over one or
> the other. (I have focus-follows-mouse and window auto-raise set).

Ahh. You meant PAN task manager.  I don't display it most of the time, as
once I set up the tasks, the status bar tracks d/l performance.  As you
say with the tabbed layout, it's easy to switch.  I usually click the
little tasks segment (the one that says no tasks, right now) to bring up
the task manager when I need it.  Or.. as with all the extra windows under
tools, I have it set to a Ctrl-Alt-key combo, in this case, Ctrl-Alt-T for
Tasks.  (key: p=posting-profiles, n=newsservers, f=filters, r=rules,
s=score-file, t=taskman, l=logviewer .. I had to delete the default
assignments for a couple items I think in ordered to get consistent
ctrl-alt-key combos for the entire list of tools, but it works.  As I
mention elsewhere, Ctrl-Shift-key with key=g,o,b for group/overview/body
are my pane switching hotkeys.  Why waste the screen real estate for the
tabs when hotkeys work and don't require that space?)

> Wishlist:
> It would be really nice if the task manager could be attached as another
> tab in the pan window. It's another context of things to be looking at;
> and since switching between them is just a hotkey away, there's no harm in
> switching views when you're switching contexts.

Another tab/pane for both the tasklist and the logviewer would be a neat
option.  For that matter, having both those and the existing tab/panes
available as tabs, panes, /or/ separate windows, would be way cool.  The
other tools still work better as separate dialogs, tho.

Benjamin Franklin