pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Following? (was Re: PAN project's status)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Following? (was Re: PAN project's status)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 03:08:57 -0700

Beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:47:26 -0400:

> I hadn't realized Pan ran under MS -- and won't use a reader even
> if I do ever run MS again, nor connect to the Net in any other way for a
> minute longer than I need -- but I'm glad to know, and will pass the word
> to less enlightened friends.

Well.. it does, but the current versions are hard to get to compile and
run.  The gtk port they /were/ built on is no longer updated for MSWormOS,
and while there's another one that is, the old step-by-step instructions
aren't quite right for the new version, and expecting most MSWormOS users
(or indeed many Linux users) to be able to troubleshoot compiler and
linking issues when they are used to simply installing a binary package is
a bit much.

Truth be told, if someone knowledgeable in gtk and PAN and MSWormOS and
C programming on both *ix and MSWormOS were to be interested, the problems
are likely fairly simple to correct and an easy to install binary package
not much more than the leg work, with a bit of tweaking here or there,
possibly.  The catch is that such folks are fairly rare, and those that DO
have the abilities generally either 1) aren't interested in targeting the
MSWormOS platform (and may in fact rather be trying to put it behind them
as a political refugee might try to forget his old country and old life
and get on with the new, which after all offers so much more freedom and
opportunity), or 2), have bigger fish to fry and aren't interested in
libreware, because they are to busy whoring their talents to the highest
bidder in proprietaryware.

(It's certainly not difficult to figure out what **I** think about
proprietaryware, now is it?  <g>)

Benjamin Franklin