pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Can No Longer View or Download Full Newsgroup List

From: Emily Jackson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Can No Longer View or Download Full Newsgroup List
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:50:28 -0500

On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:33:44 -0500
David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> On May 21, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Emily Jackson wrote:
>
> > This problem affects both Pan 0.14.2 and 0.14.2.91 [Mac OS X
> > 10.3.3]; if
> > I try to view the full newsgroup list, Pan crashes with the
> > following error:
> >
> > ** ERROR **: file pan-object.c: line 68 (pan_object_unref):
> > assertion failed: (o->ref_count>=0)
> > aborting...
> > Abort
> >
> > I tried downloading the full newsgroup list, and just before the
> > list finished downloading, Pan aborted with the same error. I tried
> > re-compiling and rebuilding Pan from scratch, but that didn't help.
> > *Any* help would be most appreciated.
>
> Go look at the logs in System Profiler (blue Apple menu, About This
> Mac, More Info... Logs is last in the column on the left). I am
> guessing you hit a process memory allocation limit by trying to
> download headers from a large group.

I don't see anything in the logs re Pan. I was originally trying to view
the full newsgroup list (in order to subscribe to a new newsgroup).
After the first abort (it didn't crash--in the OS X sense, at least [the
crash reporter didn't launch]), I tried downloading a new copy of the
full newsgroup list (about 67,000 groups), and Pan bailed just before
the full list had been downloaded. After several more aborts and
relaunches, I encountered this error merely trying to read the groups
I'm already subscribed to (opening a newsgroup message). In desperation,
I renamed my .pan directory and copied a backup of my .pan directory I'd
made back in December. Pan is now working again (so far--my fingers are
crossed). I never download more than a couple of thousand headers at a
time, and I do that only occasionally (in binary groups).

Emily

--
"If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
Emily Jackson