pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problems compiling windows pan using http://pan.rebelbas

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problems compiling windows pan using http://pan.rebelbase.com/pan-windows-port.txt
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 22:03:10 -0700

Rudi Pittman posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Wed, 05 May 2004 20:28:42 -0400:

> Anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct these compile issues?
> Should this have gone to pan-devel instead?
>
> Rudi Pittman wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to compile the latest beta of Pan in windows using the
>> pan-windows-port.txt as a guide.  This is on a fresh install of XP. []

One might /think/ someone using PAN would know how to quote properly,
but..  <g>

I left MSWormOS behind when I decided eXPrivacy crossed a line I wasn't
willing to cross, so I switched to Linux instead.  Thus, I can't help you
directly on that.  As for posting to the devel group, I do think this is
more topical here, but I've seen such questions posted there as well, and
the above is simply personal opinion, so I don't think it makes a /lot/ of
difference.

Personally, while I respect the effort Charles put into doing the
proprietary platform thing, I'd never be interested in that myself.  There
are, it would seem, enough of similar opinion that it's a bit difficult
getting help for the MSWormOS port.  Couple that with the additional
problems it has, and I don't really see the point.  However, as you've no
doubt already noted, I'm a bit biased in that area, so.. <g>

That said, there /are/ others who have gone thru the problems b4 and got
it working.  Thus, it /is/ possible.  I'd honestly help you if I could,
even if my time on MSWormOS is something I don't intend to ever repeat,
and you may get help from others given a bit more time for response.
However, I do get the idea that to a large degree, installation on
MSWormOS depends on how much someone is willing to rely on themselves for
troubleshooting and how doggedly stubborn they are in resolving the
various issues.  Of course, a bit of programming knowledge helps one
understand the various errors and what one might do to fix them, as well,
tho I'd not say it's absolutely required.

One hint I CAN give..  Someone DID mention on the lists at one point that
they had to copy or move some dlls from one location to another, to get
them detected and used properly.   Which ones, I don't recall, and of
course I can't say whether this will help you or not.  However, it may be
worth looking up the list archives to try and find it, if you've run out
of other easier options.

Good luck.  If you get it working well, consider adopting the position of
local MSWormOS installation expert.  The list DOES need such a person or
people, as the questions DO come up from time to time.

Benjamin Franklin