pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Keep Pan from marking all articles read when exiting a n

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Keep Pan from marking all articles read when exiting a newsgroup?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:46:57 -0700

Certified Repair posted
<address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:45:42 -0400:

> On Monday 19 April 2004 02:47 am, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Well, you could use a font in which everything is bold (or there isn't a
>> bold).. and they'd ALL be bold (or all normal), so you'd just see the
>> bright/gray indication.
>
> A good suggestion, but it didn't quite work for me. It had the side effect of
> making the Subject line of fully read watched (custom color) threads the same
> as if they contained unread posts. In other words, the opposite of my
> original problem.
>
> However, it could work if I could train myself to look at the Author line as
> well as the subject. The Author section of the header pane is not custom
> colored, so when there are no unread posts in a watched thread the Author
> line is properly grayed out.

Unfortunately, that's one of the side effects of scoring (other than
simply using ignore-scoring).  Fortunately, it is only HALF the overview
that is affected, altho I must say that it looks a bit funny having half
colored and half not.

BTW, I have the always expand thread on, and generally only see what an
unexpanded thread looks like if I accidentally click the little minus box
instead of somewhere else when I'm trying to click on a specific post.
Therefore, I initially read "post" where you said "thread", since I always
see individual posts.

OTOH, I'm running dual head xinerama, a 17" and a 19", total resolution of
2048x1736, so I have a bit more room to fit all the panes on a single
desktop, and still have workable size panes, even!  In fact, back when I
was still using MSWormOS, running OE in news mode was the biggest reason I
went dual monitor.  Anyway, if someone's stuck with a single 15" or
smaller, I can DEFINITELY see why they might want to conserve space and
keep threads collapsed until they read them (or use the tabbed layout
instead of panes).

Benjamin Franklin