pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Is the background color configurable?

From: Dan Hopper
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Is the background color configurable?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:29:02 -0600

Duncan <address@hidden> remarked:
> Barton Bosch posted <address@hidden>,
> excerpted below,  on Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:15:29 -0800:
>
> > It is possible to customize the screen color isn't it?
>
> The PAN widgets, as GTK2 objects, are configured by your GTK2 settings.
> Unfortunately there's not a an easy point and click method for changing
> them individually, because the GTK/Gnome philosophy is that to many
> settings confuse the user, but one can always use the Gnome-2.x theme
> configuration, or run KDE, configure as you like, and check the box to
> export its theme to Gnome..  The latter is what I did.. with a few
> additional tweaks of the gtk2.0.rc (I think it was) file directly).
>
> I prefer light (white) text on a dark (black) background, with far
> stronger general widget colors than seem to be shipped in any of the
> default theme choices in basically any desktop environment.  The weak
> and washed-out pastels and grays remind me of being sick on a rainy gray
> day.  I've read that it's a corporate thing -- biz customers prefer
> bland and what I would call almost sick.  Thus, it was personally
> important that I be able to change these to something at least
> semi-satisfactory, or I wouldn't have continued to use the app. Thus, I
> can certainly sympathize with your frustration.

Perhaps a foolish question, but how does one configure these
settings if one doesn't run Gnome or KDE?  I don't even think I have
enough Debian packages installed to run KDE or Gnome as a full
desktop.  Is the "Gnome-2.x theme configuration" a seperate control
applet I might call directly?

Thanks,
Dan