pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Sorting threads to indicate recent activity

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Sorting threads to indicate recent activity
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:33:49 -0700

Dr. Beverly Crusher posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:24:36 -0500:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:21:36 -0700, Duncan wrote:
>
>> I don't believe that's directly possible, no.  However, I've assigned a
>> shortcut key (r) to the read-post filter, here, so I can toggle it at
>> will.
>
> Thanks; this will suffice for the time being :)
>
> That said, would it be acceptable to place this into bugzilla as a
> wishlist item?  No other newsreaders of which I'm aware (that's probably
> not saying too much) can sort threads as I have indicated, and I suspect
> this would be of some use to others as well.

Yes, I believe it would be acceptable to put it in bugzilla as a feature
request aka wishlist item.  Given that no one has expressed any serious
objections (and they shouldn't, since it'd be an option), nor has any more
workable form been suggested, the reasons for running it by the list
first, getting it entered in bugzilla so the request doesn't get lost is a
good idea.  However, honestly, unless this happens to strike the
particular fancy of Charles or Chris, it's likely to be labeled as target
"bluesky", which means don't hold your breath on getting it implemented
any time soon.  Of course, if a contributing developer happens to like the
idea, and submits a patch, it's likely to get introduced fairly quickly
after that, provided the patch isn't intrusive in other ways.  However, I
don't have the skills and neither do you, it would seem, so unless you are
willing to PAY someone to submit the patch.. <g> (Charles DOES have a
"tipjar" on the site.. <g>)

That isn't to discourage you from submitting the request, as I think it's
a reasonable one.  I just don't see it as that pressing, compared to some
of the other things on the list (like my favorite thing, scoring/filtering
on the body or headers not in the overview, which I would find VERY
useful, or attachment posting, or..), so I'm being honest about its
near-term chances. Still, the bugzilla wishlist is the place to put the
idea so it doesn't get lost in the longer term, even so, and who knows..
after 1.0 comes out a year or X down the road..

Benjamin Franklin