pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: scrollwheel speed

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: scrollwheel speed
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:23:04 -0700

Chris Petersen posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:01:39 -0800:

>> where can I adjust how many line pan scrolls when using the scrollwheel
>> (button 6&7)?
>
> I'd like an option for this, too..  particularly one where I could choose
> different speeds for modifier keys.  (eg. standard scroll as usual, but
> ultra-fast scroll with control)

That WOULD indeed be nice..  Has anyone submitted a feature request to
bugzilla for it yet?  If not, please do so, and post the URL here, so I
can go say I want it too!

..  I know KDE has a KDE-wide option for basic scrolling speed, anyway,
and if PAN, a GTK app, is affected by something similar, it'd be in the
Gnome settings.  However, I don't know if Gnome has such a thing, just
like it has no way to set individual interface colors (one has to either
edit a raw config file, without a lot of user level documentation, or be
content with schemes that change all sorts of stuff at once), while KDE
has a control center applet designed just for that.

(That's one of the major reasons I use KDE instead of Gnome as my
preferred desktop. KDE has a philosophy of giving the user control of
everything possible relating to the human/computer interface, while Gnome
has a philosophy more like Eugenia's, from OSNews -- the human is expected
to be to dumb to appreciate such power, and prefers a simpler interface
without so many confusing choices.  If I wanted such a thing, I would have
stayed with closed source MSWormOS!  One of the reasons I decided to
switch was because I'm a control freak, when it comes to how I work with
my computer, and open source generally provides far more user control than
closed source.  PAN's the only GTK app I use regularly, tho I do use the
Mdk system configuration apps on occasion, and I've had to stumble around
in the dark, using educated trial and error editing of the config files to
get a semi-personally-acceptable PAN interface, tho even with all
that, PAN was still better enough than KNode for me to stick with PAN,
last time I tried KNode.)

Benjamin Franklin