pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] suggestions for large groups

From: jef
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] suggestions for large groups
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:20:17 -0500

Erik wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could give some tips for using Pan with large
binary groups. I have a gig of memory in my machine, and Pan's cache is
set to a gig as well. However, loading a newsgroup with about 2 million
headers ends up causing Pan to start thrashing swap space about 2/3 of the
way through loading the group, or downloading that many new headers. The machine slows down to a crawl and the rest of the (down)load takes excessively long.

This is because you have 1 gig of cache. Lower it to a reasonable
amount and try again. 10 MB here and no high memory usage, swapping,
etc, even on machines with 128-256MB of RAM.

Only 10MB here, and I see the same behavior on groups this large. I mentioned this problem a while back, and Charles asked for a copy of the group's header file so that he could look into it.

I haven't heard of any outcome from this, but the file i sent, for alt.binaries.multimedia, is 350MB. Sorting, scoring, etc on a file that big is bound to put a bit of stress on things - but I'm hoping that the Pan crew can work some magic as they have in the past.

One of the things I noted in a previous post was that Pan used to do this on groups with only 100,000 headers, but a tweak was made that improved performance dramatically at the time. I'm hoping that they are able to find a similar tweak for even larger groups. (And I just got word recently that Giganews is increasing binary retention, so I'm hoping they can work it out :)

        jef