pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Getting new headers task never finishes

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Getting new headers task never finishes
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 03:21:03 -0700

Machs_FueL posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:49:47 -0400:

> 0.14.2 pan doesn't finish download new headers if there is more then a
> couple tens of thousands of them. Smaller amounts work fine.
>
> So right now there are 67378 of 67937 articles retrieved. i'm able to
> broswe/DL/del but the getting headers task never terminates.  So once
> i've checked three active groups (three max tasks for this sever), i've
> got to crash pan and start again.
>
> The computer i'm running pan on is a junker for sure -
> address@hidden with 384 megs o'ram.

LOL..  gmane (list2news gateway that I read my mailing lists on with PAN)
thought your p166 at whatever was an email address and obfuscated it to
prevent spammers getting a hold of it and spamming you.  So, I see P166
and 384M RAM, but missed the at whatever portion.

This is the first time I've read of this particular bug, I think, and I
don't have any suggestions for curing it, but perhaps some help on
tracking it down.  If you run pan from a console window, with the --help
switch, it will list a bunch of possible troubleshooting switches you can
try.  In this case, I'd suggest --debug-sockets, to see what is happening
to that socket when the headers are finished d/ling, to begin with.  Run
pan with that again in a console window, or redirect the output to a file,
and see if that has any clues.

Benjamin Franklin