pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Do not find send.later

From: Torstein Sunde
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Do not find send.later
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:09:34 +0200

Duncan wrote:

> Michael Walsh wrote:
> >
> > On a side note.
> > I notice a lot of replies don't thread for me, and the new branch of
> > replies is usually started by duncan, or someone replying using pan.
> > [...]
>
> I'm not sure where the bug is, but know the reason in a different
> sense. Most of those using PAN, including me, are probably doing so
> thru gmane.org, a mailing list archive stored in news form.  [...]

It looks like the problem arises as a combination of:

1. Using a email client (or newsreader, when using Gmane) that either
threads on subject, or shows a new thread when the subject changes.
The latter is an option (default off) in Pan, under Edit/Preferences/
Header Pane/Other Settings.  Try it when reading this list through
Gmane!

2. Gmane stripping the "[Pan-users]" prefix from the subject.  When
replying from Gmane, the mailing list server will add this prefix
_before_ "Re:", which will appear like a change of subject.  This is
probably also the reason why you see many replies with multiple
occurences of "Re:" in the subject, and "Re:" both before and after
"[Pan-users]".  For this reply, my email client actually wants to use
this subject:
  "Re: [Pan-users] RE: Re: Do not find send.later"

> It'd be easy to blame your mail client, MSWormOS Outlook.  [...]

For mailing lists, it's better to use an email client that can thread on
references/message-ID only.  (But that's a disadvantage when someone
starts a new thread by replying to an article from another thread, being
unaware of the References header that remains when the original text and
subject are deleted.)