pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Editor wraps my beautiful ascii art when sending

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Editor wraps my beautiful ascii art when sending
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:57:08 -0700

Torstein Sunde posted
<address@hidden>, excerpted below,
 on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 03:52:08 +0200:

> Johan Ovlinger wrote:
>
>> What happens is that the post looks fine before sending. When it showed
>> up on the server, it had been wordwrapped. Bad Pan!
>
> Are you sure that you hadn't enabled the option "Wrap Article Body" ("W"
> or View menu) when viewing the message on the server?
>
> If that's not the problem, did you verify that the post is broken by
> viewing it in another newsreader?

I was going to suggest the w/wrap possibility too..

You may also try checking the cached copy directly.  In PAN, view the
msgid header, then find the file of a similar name (plus the .msg
extension) under ~/.pan/data/messages/cache.  Note that if you have a
large cache, this dir will contain many thousands of files, so rather than
opening it in a file manager where it has to list all the files, it might
be better to load the file including path directly in your editor, rather
than browsing for it to load.

Anyway, by doing that, you can view the message pretty close to directly
as it comes off the feed, without PAN "fixing" the display.  This also
comes in handy on a message PAN won't load into the display, for whatever
reason, tho finding it by searching file content for subject or author
or something else displayed in the header/overview pane can be a bit
of a pain, since the msgid wouldn't then be known meaning a find based on
content would be necessary.

Benjamin Franklin