pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [wishlist] all subscribed groups view

From: Mark Derricutt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [wishlist] all subscribed groups view
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:23:49 +1200

--On Friday, September 12, 2003 20:56:17 -0400 ar <address@hidden> wrote:

IOW a group-centric view.

So in pan I wish for a new category (alongside 'Subscribed' 'Folders',
etc) called, eg 'All subscribed'.

I was thinking of something simular, but instead of all, just added a 2 level tree instead of a straight list, so you might have:

 +- server-a
 |  +- comp.os.something
 |  +- comp.os.something.else
 +- server-b
    +- alt.binaries.good.newsreader

This way you could see new articles in all servers at the same time, but still identify which server which group was from.

There was discussion ages ago about coming the views where people have the same newsgroup subscribed at two different servers, and automatically switching the servers if one can't connect or doesn't have a part etc.

Thats all fine, but is that the primary use? Or would the above be what people are are more after? I have 3-4 servers set up for specific products, general usenet/binaries, and then some product/support specific stuff ( mozilla nntp, borland forums, intellij forums etc. etc. ). The groups don't cross over, but I'd like to see them all at once without switching "active server".

The local folders could also be under a top level next to the servers as well:

 +- local-folders
    +- sent
    +- drafts
    +- outbox

Mark

--
"It's all in the heat of the moment, it's all in the pain..." Devy.
Mark Derricutt @ address@hidden @ talios.blog-city.com