pan-users

[Pan-users] Pruning a thread rule

From: Mark Norton
Subject: [Pan-users] Pruning a thread rule
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:17:50 -0700

Hello,

I searched the archives, but didn't find any hits on what I would like
to be able to do.  In several newsgroups I read, there are certain
posters that tend to ruin threads.  That is, a thread will be created,
there is some thoughtful discussion, and then poster X hits and then the
rest of that branch is basically nonsense.

What I would like to do is create a rule for plonk sender and instead of
have it "Ignore Thread", I would like it to "Prune Thread".  That way
I get to keep the good bits of a thread, but don't have to even know
that it degenerated into a flamewar.  Currently, the only option I have
seen is "Ignore Thread" and this kills everything, including the
interesting portion of the thread. I don't know if what I want to do can
be done currently. The rule making seems to be very powerful, and maybe
it's just my ham-handedness in tuning it to do this.

Can someone help me out?  Can this be accomplished with the current
rules and scores and whatnot, or do I have to hope this gets implemented
in the future?

Regards,
Mark Norton

Mark Norton <address@hidden>       http://mnorton.chaosnet.org
Public Key can be retrieved and verified from http://pgp.mit.edu
Fingerprint:  6187 D8FF 2FDD 883A 3401 9777 90F8 4B45 3347 3A14