pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: SendLater Folder and Mozilla

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: SendLater Folder and Mozilla
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 07:37:50 -0700

Tyrone Cabugao posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:38:03 -0500:

> I am running pan 0.14.2. RH 9.0. Mozilla 1.4 (installed via Installer).
> I have a couple of problems:
>
> 1.) Sendlater folder does not hold any messages queued to be sent later.

This is probably due to PAN's tracking of the folder being corrupted at
some point when PAN crashed, perhaps while attempting to send a message.

PAN's data folder is under ~/.pan/data.   With PAN closed, try deleting
(or renaming) the messages/folders/pan.sendlater dir.  Then reopen PAN
and see if the folder works properly now.  If not, try removing the
folders_*.dat and .idx files directly under data/.

Before you go deleting the dir, however, if you have any messages that
you lost that you did want to attempt to send, note that they may well be
safely stored in that dir, just not displayable by PAN due to some
corruption.  Thus, you may be able to retrieve them, opening the text
files in a text editor, then copy/pasting as necessary into a new PAN
message to send.  If you don't have any messages you want to try to
retrieve, go ahead and delete the dir, messages and all, as PAN should
rebuild it as necessary.

2.) When I click on a link in a message, nothing happens. My cursor
> changes to a "little hand", but clicking on the link does not bring up
> my browser (Mozilla 1.4). In Apps&Mail, "mozilla %s" (without the
> quotes) is the entry for Web Browser. I think this may be a Linux
> problem, but I'm new to Linux. When I attempt to run mozilla from the
> command line, it is not launched either. When I do a whereis mozilla, it
> shows it as being in /usr/local/mozilla.

U R right on this being a Linux problem.  Actually, more precisely, it's
probably a shell problem, more precisely still, a path problem.
Ensure that the /usr/local/ dir is included in your $PATH environmental
variable.  You can change that dynamically in any login session for
testing, but it is most likely set from your ~/.bashrc or .profile bash
configuration files.  Or, if you have superuser privileges, you may put
them in the system-wide equivalents, probably located under /etc, as
bashrc and profile, without the leading dot.  (Note that the leading dot
is Linux's way of indicating a normally hidden file, so you may not see
the ones in your home dir unless you turn on viewing of hidden files in
your file manager of choice, or use the -a or -A option with ls at the
command prompt.)

As with Windows, which is where I assume you came from, the alternative to
changing the PATH variable is to specify the path directly each time.
Thus, rather than specifying just mozilla, and having it search and not
find an app by that name on the path,  you would specify
/user/local/mozilla.

BTW, you can tell if an app is on the path and which one would be run if
you just specified the name with the "which" command.  Thus, "whereis
mozilla" will list any mozilla file, including those not on the path, but
"which mozilla" should list the path to the one that would be executed, if
any, if you just put "mozilla" on the command line, without a path.

BTW2.  As a Linux newbie, I found two O'Reilly books on Linux a tremendous
help.  "Running Linux", aka "The Rearing Horse" (as all O'Reilly books,
there's a distinctive illustration on the cover, this one a rearing horse,
the the nickname), is an excellent tutorial/textbook style front-to-back
readthru style book, that helped me become nearly as operationally
comfortable with Linux in 90 days as I had been in Windows after several
years.  "Linux in a Nutshell", aka "The Arabian", is more a
quick-reference style book, with its main section consisting of an
alphabetical listing of the major Linux commands, and their command line
options, with a quick description of the command and each option.  Thus,
like the --help option most commands have, it is most useful when you
already know the command and what you want to do, but can't quite remember
the proper command line switches and format to use.  Together, these books
allowed me to become, as I said, nearly as functional on Linux in 90 days,
as I was on Windows, several years in.  These books aren't cheap, costing
me about $70 together, but they EASILY saved me 6 months to a year of
messing around trying to learn the info these books allowed me to use
efficiently in just a few days.  I consider them one of the best computer
investments I've ever made, as I've been on Linux almost two years now,
and would probably STILL be fumbling around in the dark in some areas I'm
now proficient in, were it not for these books.

Benjamin Franklin