pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Regex question - Re: ANN: Pan 0.14.2

From: Wolf J. Flywheel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Regex question - Re: ANN: Pan 0.14.2
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:57:27 -0400

On Monday 01 September 2003 07:41, Duncan wrote:

> >     I got my regex information from the Bash documentation... should I
> > be using a different sort of regex?
>
> I've never seen that either, but shell programming != regex
> programming, in general.  In most regex engines, [] indicates a
> character class, while in BASH, it is another way of writing "test", an
> internal shell function.

        Sorry to malign the Bash docs; in fact, unless there's a mention or
hyperlink somewhere the regex docs are completely unrelated to them, as
far as I can tell.  It was, in fact, "man 7 regex" that led me down the
path toward [[:<:]]/[[:>:]], which it clearly states are special cases
and should not be expected to work everywhere.

        These docs *are* where I turn for regex info when I do my rare shell
scripting, and so far everything in them has worked, so it was only
natural for me to consult them while editing my score file.  I haven't
tried to use those beginning- and end-of-word markers in Bash, though.

--
// Carl Hudkins :: Jabber address@hidden :: PGP 50238D9E
//