pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.14.0.94

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.14.0.94
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:14:29 -0600

On 2003.08.05 09:30, Charles Kerr wrote:
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:37:32AM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> On 2003.08.04 18:53, Charles Kerr wrote:
>
> >  | #118930          | Ensure that changed articles' scores are
> >propagated up  |
> >  | Dave Hill        | to their parents in the header pane so that
> >collapsed   |
> >  |                  | threads' scores are correct.
>
> IMO this was not a felicitous change.  If a kook starts a thread I
> could formerly see that fact right away from the score of the
top-level
> post when the thread was collapsed, and take it into consideration
when
> deciding whether to open the thread.  Now it looks like any other
> thread and I don't notice that I've stepped into dog pooh until I
click
> to expand it.

It's more important to make high scores easy to find than it is to
hide low scores. If a top article has a score -100 and its reply has a score of 9999, you're more interested in the 9999 than the -100. So it's intentional that we show a -100 article with a 9999 score when -100's children are hidden.

Your point is valid, but the `collapsed thread scoring' is going to
stay.  If you think of a way to reconcile the `kook starts a thread
issue with it, I'd consider your suggestion.

If you could generalize sub-thread scoring so that we could downscore everything beneath a bozopost, that would fix this and have some other desirable properties as well.

I can't just delete/ignore entire threads that bozos post to, because then they could force good threads to be ignored. But there are some people who appear to be _genuinely_ psychotic, and I simply don't care to read anything in a thread or sub-thread that they start.

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas