pan-users

[Pan-users] Scoring articles in watched threads.

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: [Pan-users] Scoring articles in watched threads.
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 02:28:58 -0600

I put in a bugzilla report on this earlier and it was reported as fixed in the latest series of betas, but it was not clear from the bugzilla discussion exactly what the fix solution was. Now that I see how it works I would like to re-open discussion on it as a request for a feature change rather than as a bug.

If you use 'W' to set a watch on a thread it sets a score=9999 for the thread in the scorefile. The fix mentioned above apparently ensured that no further scores are considered when a relevant score= entry is encountered. I know this matches whatever newsreader you have been trying to emulate, but that behavior really isn't desirable because it also scores up all the bozos, psychos, and other Usenet undesirables that you have scorefile entries for and who post to that thread.

How about changing the watch entry to +9999 rather than =9999, or at least giving us a user preference for managing watched threads that way ? That would let us continue downgrading certain kinds of posts even when they occur in a watched thread. It seems to me that the whole point of the scoring system is to allow you to stack scores arising from multiple causes in order to categorize a post properly, and the =9999 setting for watched threads discards the elegance of the whole system.

Thanks,
--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas