pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] cant post

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] cant post
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 06:57:12 -0700

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 03:59:01PM -0400, CL Gilbert wrote:

> What is this? everytime I try to post this is what I am told.
> ERROR: invalid address ""CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" <address@hidden>"

Hmm, up until now Pan has followed the `son-of-rfc-1036'
policy of disallowing "<", ">", "(", and ")" in quoted sections,
but as someone's asked for it, I'll make Pan allow "(" and ")".

The germane parts of son-of-1036:

    NOTE: The syntax here is a  restricted  subset  of
    the  MAIL  From  syntax, with quoting particularly
    restricted, for simple  parsing.   In  particular,
    the  presence of "<" in the From content indicates
    that the second form is being used, otherwise  the
    first  form is being used.  The major restrictions
    here are those already de-facto imposed by  exist-
    ing software.

    NOTE: Overly-lenient posting agents sometimes per-
    mit the second form with a  full  name  containing
    "("  or  ")",  but it is extremely rare for a full
    name to contain "<" or ">" even in mail.   Accord-
    ingly,  reading  agents wishing to robustly deter-
    mine which form is in use in a particular  article
    should  key on the presence or absence of "<", not
    the presence or absence of "(".

--
cheers,
Charles