pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.93 "He's Upstairs, Helping Porcelain Make th

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: 0.14.0.93 "He's Upstairs, Helping Porcelain Make the Bed"
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:28:28 -0700

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:48:53PM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> 1) If you are reading one article and use MB-3 to select (but not load)
> another one in the header pane, the body pane is erased.  This is not
> good because it means you can't start a new sort in the header pane
> while reading the currently loaded article.

Go ahead and file a bugzilla ticked on this.  I think this is a
side-effect of #118152, which clears the body pane when the user
switches groups.

> 2) Formerly if you selected one of your own posts, unthreaded, and
> sorted by author, you could find all your posts that had new or unread
> replies anywhere under them in their thread by skimming down the list
> to find those with the fonts indicating "new" or "unread".   Now those
> fonts are only used if your actual post is new or unread, so I'm once
> more left trying to figure out how to find live subthreads.
>
> Notice that if you thread the header pane and collapse the threads, the
> top-level post in a thread still gets the font telling you that there
> are new or unread replies in the thread.  The change is only when you
> unthread the headers.

I'm interested in getting other pan-users opinions here, but on the
face of it I don't see the point of bolding articles when you can't
actually reach their followups without rethreading anyway.

IMO a better way to find new/unread replies to your posts is to click
"Match Only My Articles" + "Show Matching Articles' Subthreads".

> 3) Very minor compared to the other two, but still somewhat annoying,
> for some reason the article's subject line is displayed in a different
> color than the text in the Score/Lines/Author/Dates columns, if no
> scoring colorization apples.  Is there some reason for that column to
> be a different color?  (BTW, I do remember noticing this change in the
> other .9x releases that I tried, .90 and .92 IIRC.)

Hmm, can't reproduce; do you have `color subject column' clicked on
in your scoring prefs?

> FYI, anyone else who tried a 0.14.0.9x, failed back to 0.14.0, and now
> tries another .9x, will see that Pan loses all the articles between the
> time you failed back and the time you tried again.  Don't panic; if the
> articles aren't so old to be gone from your server you can just use the
> menu to delete all the articles in the group and then fetch everything
> again.  It will remember what you have read and what you haven't.

0.14.0.9x uses a new data file for the headers: ~/.pan/servername/groupname
0.14.0 and older used two separate files to hold the same information.