pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Suggestion, re large groups

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Suggestion, re large groups
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 02:54:54 -0700

On Wed 02 Jul 2003 21:11, Charles Kerr posted as excerpted below:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:53:22PM -0400, Johan Ovlinger wrote:
> > People (myself among them) have lamented the horrible performance of the
> > gtk2 widgets when faced with 10k item lists.  Not much pan can do about
> > that, without getting hands very dirty in toolkit internals.  But we can
> > shorten the lists:  I was thinking that most groups that have such large
> > numbers of items will be binary groups, with multi-multi-part posts.  Pan
> > already combines multipart posts: why not automatically thread
> > multi-multi-parts?
> >
> > huh? whadaya think? huh? huh?
>
> I think a patch would be welcomed. ;)

I think that the work will still have to be done behind the scenes anyway, and
it won't make a lot of difference.  Or rather, if it will, the proper way to
recode it would require the use of enough database type processing that we
might as well incorporate the rewrite into the database backend rewrite, as
otherwise, it will be a LOT of work, and duplicated work at that, since it
will have to be done again with the backend switch.

Of course, as Charles said, if a patch shows up with the work already pretty
well completed and ready to be merged...  <g>

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin