pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Indented first line of paragraph

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Indented first line of paragraph
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 02:36:04 -0700

On Mon 30 Jun 2003 13:57, Leandro GuimarĂ£es Faria Corsetti Dutra posted as
excerpted below:
> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:38:14 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> > On Sat 28 Jun 2003 11:09, Leandro GuimarĂ£es Faria Corsetti Dutra posted
> > as
> >
> > excerpted below:
> >>    In Latin languages it is usual to indent the first line of a paragraph,
> >> like this very same one.
> >>
> >>    But in Pan, this makes the end of the very same line break into a
> >> second too short line.
> >
> > Most electronic mail and news I'm aware of tends to use block style
> > paragraphs, as I do here, instead, skipping a line between paragraphs as
> > needed, rather than indenting.
>
>       Should this mean that I need to use another news client if I want to
> follow Latin conventions instead of newfangled block style?

My opinion only, NOT that of the PAN developers..  You are using "newfangled"
internet news, why not use the block style paragraphs to match?  This isn't a
hand written letter, it's an electronic message, to which electronic
conventions should apply, not the old "dead tree" conventions.

That aside, you wish to use the old "dead tree" style in the new electronic
media..  I must confess I don't quite understand the problem.  Altho (yes,
the new electronic conventional spelling <g>) the RFCs for NNTP say body
lines can be up to 1000 characters long, including terminating CRLF,
tradition and the GNSKA guidelines that PAN abides by say 80 characters.
Most recommendations therefore say 72-75 char lines, to leave room for
several layers of quote characters before it will cause a rewrap @ 78 chars
(excluding terminating CRLF.  PAN seems to wrap at 75 or earlier as needed
depending on terminating word length, if you have autowrap on or hit the wrap
button.  That should not change whether or not the first few characters are
spaces or some other character.  If the line is over 75 characters including
the indenting spaces, it should wrap to the next line, regardless of the
length of the next line.  Are you saying this is NOT what it does?

I just tested it here, using a 5 character indent so the visible characters
actually began at space 6.  It seems to work as it should here.  Try it.
First, repeat the characters 1-9 and a space, in that order.  You get 7 full
sequences and PAN wraps the 8th one on 6.  That's 75 char line width as it's
supposed to be.  Then, try the same thing with the first five characters
spaces, and beginning at 6 instead of one since the first five chars are
space.  As expected, you get (or at least I get) the first incomplete
sequence, 6 full sequences, and a wrap typing the 6 on the next one.  Again,
that's wrapping as it should at space 75.  Where is the problem?

Of course, you can always turn off autowrap, or otherwise format the line
manually, so it wraps as you desire.  Of course, this is more work.  However,
that's the way the recommendations say it should be done, and one of PAN's
primary goals is to be and remain GNSKA compliant,* so I doubt that is going
to change, unless of course the actual behavior is buggy, that is, not as
described above.

* PAN was GNSKA evaluated and certified 100% on both MUSTs and SHOULDs, PAN
version 0.9.3, evaluation report  url below.  Note point 14, 80 char line
length SHOULDs.  PAN is the ONLY *ix newsreader to get a perfect 100% score,
and the developers are rightfully VERY proud of that fact.  They are NOT
planning to intentionally change that (the question has come up b4 in other
areas), altho it's Software Libre (GNU GPL v 2), and you are of course free
to get the source and make any changes desired b4 compiling it for your own
use or redistribution in compliance with the license.  Should you wish to do
so, ask, as others have, and they likely will even point out the lines that
need changed to do what you wish, as they have b4.  However, the binaries or
source coming out of pan.rebelbase.com WILL remain 100% GNSKA compliant, to
the best of their ability, according to previous statements, so don't expect
any changes contrary to that to be made standard.  If that's what you want,
then yes, that DOES mean finding another newsreader, as PAN isn't the one for
you.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/Evaluations/pan-0.9.3.txt

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.