pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection

From: D.J. Bolderman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan freezes my connection
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:52:02 +0200

On di, 17 jun 2003, Adrian Holovaty wrote:

> Pan freezes my Internet connection. I'll be downloading something --
> headers, messages, binaries, anything -- and suddenly, without
> warning, all downloads stop progressing and my Internet connection
> no longer works in *any* application.

How familier this sounds to me ! I'm also having this problem, but
until now, it never came to my mind that Pan could be involved in
this.

My connection also freezes randomly when retrieving headers or
articles with Pan. I'm on ADSL, and I'm using a router to connect to
my ADSL modem.

I always thought that my modem or router was getting buggy, so that
they couldn't handle large downloads anymore. But now when I'm think
of it, I downloaded a 700MB cd-image with wget last night, and the
connection didn't drop. Retrieving headers with Pan a few hours later
made my connection go down again.

> I've gotten so used to this bug that I follow the same procedure
> each time it happens: I close Pan, exit KDE and do a quick reboot
> with "init 1" and then "init 3." Then I'm able to log in to KDE
> again and my Internet connection is back up.

A simple reset of my ADSL modem does the trick.

> I'm using Mandrake 9.1 and KDE, and I'm currently running Pan
> version 0.14.0, although I also experienced the bug in the previous
> two releases (0.13.96 and the other one). I've installed in various
> ways: via the Mandrake RPM, the Mandrake SRPM and a full compile.
> The bug exists regardless of how I install it.

I'm using Gentoo and the latest CVS version of Pan.

Regards
Dick