pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to read news in Japanese with 0.14.0?

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to read news in Japanese with 0.14.0?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:03:35 +0200

Himanshu J. Gohel [14/06/03 14:50 -0400]:

> My SGI IRIX 6.5.20m box has several Japanese fonts installed - I use
> them in Netscape to read the same newsgroup.  How do I set this up
> correctly?  Seems to me that for each character set, Pan should allow a
> font spec, whereas right now I can only specify a global font!

That's the approach of GTK2: you only specify a fontset and the underlying
Pango subsystem works out which font to use. In the case of 'sans', you're
actually using a fontset alias. Aliases are defined in
/etc/pango/pangox.aliases (at least that's where it is on RH9). Pango then
attempts to resolve that to an actual font, depending on your required size,
charset, etc.

So, it sounds like you need to add your JP fonts to Pango's configuration.
More info is at http://www.pango.org

Regards,
Christophe