pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: Ignored threads

From: Lin Ford
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: Ignored threads
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:50:02 +1000

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 04:40 am, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2003 10:16 am, Duncan wrote:
> > Well, I certainly don't consider myself a scoring expert, as the
> > good-old-filters were good enough for me, and I generally haven't done
> > anything with scoring except for adding new folks to the bozo filter
> > which must either be done manually now, or accomplished thru scoring.
> >
> > Once you complete the above steps and verify by reloading the filter
> > dialog that it did NOT take as expected, close PAN, and go do what any
> > true Linux hacker (by some definitions <g>) would have done the FIRST
> > time. --> go load the text based config file in your favorite text editor
> > and hack it into compliance!  In this case, all it takes is replacing the
> > list of watched..low with the single level, ignored.  Load pan back up
> > and verify it interprets the filter correctly (in the display).  Close
> > PAN again and verify it didn't change the filter again.  Open PAN again
> > and test it on a group you don't care about --> I'd suggest a normally
> > unsubscribed test group that you subscribe to for this purpose, then dump
> > when you are done, so you don't lose any posts in a group you really
> > value, as I did. However, it worked fine here, once I modified the config
> > file by hand.
>
> Well, I had it working last night or APPEARED to have it working and
> apparently PAN decided that there was something wrong... In any event, that
> rule doesn't appear in the list any more... :-(
>
> Charles: Could you PLEASE try and fix this bug ASAP? I would love to help
> by providing a patch to fix it, but I'm no programmer. :-( The best I can
> do is debug it if there are any bugs... but it's not crashing, there just
> is no way to "flag" all the "ignored" articles... as if for some reason you
> never thought someone would want to get *just* the ignored articles.... In
> any event, I find this highly aggravating... I'd be willing to use a CVS
> version if you want to try and do something...
>       Thanks...

I'm also no expert on filters but have you clicked on 'Any filter' and under
that add 'Article score is at least' low to filters than click on 'Any
filter' and Invert so the filter will read 'None of' and under will have
'Article score of watched, high, medium, zero'.  You do not have to modify
the filters.xml or any other file this way, plus I also found it worked better
than inverting the 'Article score' bit.  My filter is set up like this
and has worked since about 13.94.

--
Take care
Lin