pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Marking copies of articles read

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Marking copies of articles read
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:33:45 -0700

On Thu 05 Jun 2003 13:47, Artur Jachacy posted as excerpted below:

> There is a slight problem I've encountered using Pan 0.13.95: I'm using
> a local server mediating between my news client(s) and 'real'
> newsservers. It is set up is such a way that a copy of every article I
> post is sent to a local newsgroup. The problem I've noticed is that
> those copies are not marked read after I view them, and I have to mark
> them read 'by hand'.

PAN had a similar problem with articles it posted to the groups, some time
ago.  The problem then was that it wasn't actually d/ling them, but rather
taking a shortcut and displaying them directly in the group locally as if it
had downloaded them.  While I suspect the reason it was implemented that way
was for bandwidth, it didn't work out for a number of reasons.  However, the
reason it didn't mark your own articles read at that point is that they
didn't have the normal headers attached to them.  IDR whether it was the
msg-id header, or the sequence number, but whatever it was, PAN uses that to
track the message as read, and couldn't do so automatically anyway without
it.  One had to mark the message read manually, just as you are experiencing.

I'd suggest that at least for this group, you may need to have your local
server insert that header line.  As you've set such a thing up and I haven't,
I'm sure you have a better idea where to take it from there than I do, but
that should point you in the right direction.

Alternatively..  if you don't use any other news clients or only post with
PAN, you may not be aware that PAN already does basically the same thing.
Under the dropdown normally saying subscribed groups, select folders, then
visit the pseudo-group, pan.sent.  I should mention that I corrupted the
folder somehow and had to go into ~/.pan/data and delete the folder manually,
on the filesystem, and have it recreated, but yes, PAN does store the things,
normally, almost exactly as you said --> as a pseudo-group.  One other
caveat..  I'm not sure whether that pseudo-group is counted by PAN as part of
the cache and trimmed accordingly when the cache gets bigger than you have
PAN configured to use, or not.  Thus, I'm not sure how permanent that folder
is.  However, it may do what you wish, or then agan it may not.  I just
thought I should mention it in case you weren't aware of it.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin