pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "Automatic" unsubscription (bug?)

From: Duncan
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:13:29 -0700

On Wed 14 May 2003 18:03, Jim Reiss posted as excerpted below:
> I agree.  Pan is in great need of a save-articles-to-mailbox feature.
> I've relied on that capability in trn for over a decade.  These days
> many Linux systems store mail in maildirs, though, so there may be
> interest in keeping separate files for each article but organized as
> a collection of mail (as opposed to the copy_2 copy_3 copy_4 etc.
> stuff).

I'm in favor of keeping the maildir format, simply because it tends to be a
bit more resistant to corruption.  However, it does need modified to keep the
number of files in an individual dir down to some reasonable number.  Note
that with the potential for cross-posted articles, and with the potential for
multiple servers to be tracking the same group and articles, separating by
server and group has its own problems.

I suspect that this will be tackled at the same time PAN incorporates the
SQLite library for its backend database stuff.  At that point, there's going
to be some serious rewriting of the entire backend handling, and I don't
think it's really worth going to the trouble of creating a temporary fix
right now, only to have to redo it in a few months when we get ready to do it
right.

As of now, PAN really isn't suitable for long term storage of articles anyway.
It simply isn't equipped to process them right, or keep them safe from
corruption in the long term.  Rather, it is designed to be a good
downloader/cacher, with content that one wishes to keep for some long period
saved off elsewhere.

Here, for text posts I want to keep, I simply forward them to my mail address
and end up archiving them (using proper maildir) with KMail.  I save off
binaries as required separately.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin