pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.14 - attempted fix of the "freeze when connection is l

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.14 - attempted fix of the "freeze when connection is lost
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:51:00 +0200

Alberto BARSELLA [14/05/03 18:29 +0200]:

> >I played around with this somewhat and found Pan more sluggish in reading
> >articles. Most likely enabling NONBLOCKING causes the first call to
> >g_io_channel_read_line() to miss the data coming back from the server,
> >causing a 1 second delay in the article being received.
>
> It's definitely possible.
> When I first tested this patch I added a log message every time
> that EAGAIN is returned.  It happens, but not that often.

On my server, I consistently get it on the first call.  Sometimes it takes as
much as 5 calls (i.e. 500ms) to get a response.

> Anyway it's true that depending on the bandwidth you have and the number of
> simultanous open connections you set for a given server the download
> speed may be affected.  What is your configuration?

That, and the speed of the local system (time between writing on the
socket to request an article and the reading the response) compared to the
speed of the newsserver (response time for a request).  (800 MHz computer
with a 3.3 Mbps ADSL line here)

> >Using g_usleep(G_USEC_PER_SEC/10) and setting
> >MAX_CONSECUTIVE_FAILED_OPERATIONS to 600 makes Pan more responsive.
> >
> It's probably a good idea.

Yep. Committed in CVS:

http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsview2.cgi?diff_mode=context&whitespace_mode=show&subdir=pan/pan&command=DIFF_FRAMESET&file=sockets.c&rev1=1.114&rev2=1.115&root=/cvs/gnome

Regards,