pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "Fit to window" - image view enhancement

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] "Fit to window" - image view enhancement
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:35:00 -0700 (MST)

> It's still be a useful option in comparitively slow groups, however.  As I
> said, we are talking about text groups primarily, altho extending retention
> for binary groups would be good for those with REAL short retention in that
> area, because any sort of permanent retention for binaries simply gets HUGE
> on the space requirements.  Further, for most text groups, GoogleGroups is
> generally as good a solution as local retention anyway.  The corner case
> would be private groups not stored on Google, something like local ISP/NSP
> groups, which for the most part aren't going to be more than a few 10Ks of
> posts in a year in the first place.  Get to many, and PAN indeed is the wrong
> tool for the job, but in this sort of corner case, it would certainly be nice
> to be able to retain say a years worth, when that's only say 5K/mo. 60K total
> posts.
For me, Pan is a binary-only newsreader...I still use trn for text
groups because it's easy to archive text articles in a "mailbox" file
that I can open with elm or mutt or whatever.  Much nicer than a
collection of article_subject_copy_XX.txt files.  What I'd love to see
in Pan is a new "save article to mailbox" option along with "Save article
as..." and "Save article attachments".  Text articles tend to be small
enough that you could just "select all" and "save to mailbox" to create
that archive you're looking for.  And if you gzip the mailbox files when
you're not using them it can be even less of a space issue.