pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] OT: Web page rewriting filters Was: Downloading headers

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] OT: Web page rewriting filters Was: Downloading headers
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 05:42:24 -0700

On Sat 22 Mar 2003 19:06, David Anderson posted as excerpted below:
> This damn web mail has no permanent option to turn off HTML formatting.

OK.  Understood, altho I think I'd seriously think about switching to some
other web mail provider if that was the case here.  <g>

..  Another possibility, altho whether you can run it at work or not remains a
question, is a decent web personal filter-proxy.  I haven't gotten one
working since I switched to Linux, altho there are several (I've been looking
at FilterProxy, perl based, which I'm learning, but it's dependent on some
outdated packages and I I haven't sorted all that out yet), but I used the
Promitron on MSWormOS..  One of the best little free programs I ever
discovered for MSWormOS.  Basically, it allows you to re-code a page
according to your specifications on the fly, so you could create a filter
that would either change the text mode checkbox to checked by default, or, as
I probably would, simply delete the checkbox altogether and hard code that
option to always text.

There's just something appealing to me about being able to rewrite pages
dynamically as *I* want them.  <g>  I know I spend far more time than I saved
setting up filters to remove ads and the stupid stuff from sites I visited
regularly, but it was just so cool to force them into MY mold, rather than
forcing myself into theirs.

As I said, there are several packages that will work on Linux that do
aproximately the same thing, and other similar stuff as well.   Here's a page
that lists tools based on platform for all sorts of different platforms.
Some of them just do ad removal.  Some, like the Proxomitron, allow the user
to change any part of the conversation, both incoming and outgoing, in any
way they so desire, pretty much.

http://www.flourish.org/adremove/

--
Duncan