pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Yet Another Feature Request.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Yet Another Feature Request.
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:48:31 -0700

On Wed 12 Mar 2003 10:44, Eric Ortega posted as excerpted below:
> I many times queue up a pile of binaries to download and then decide that
> I want to also get one or two things that I've just seen.  Currently I
> add them to the queue, open up the task manager, move them to the top,
> and be happy.
>
> I've done this enough times now over the years that I wonder if it might
> just be possible to add a "save binary (top of queue)" option that would
> just shortcut all that tedium?  I'm thinking Shift-pipe-S or shift-1-S
> would be nice key combos for it (or ctrl-shift-S or ...).  :)

This would be handled automatically in current, w/ the gnet library.  PAN now
dynamically reassigns tasks (after each one completes its current segment) to
the newest one on the list.  Thus, you'd set up your original d/ls, find
more, set them to run, and PAN would finish the immediately downloading
segments in each connection and reassign them to the new task (up to the
number of connections allowed or the number of segments in the new task).

The scoring in the newest beta is OK, but the dynamically reassigned tasks
were a REAL usability improvement, here.  Until scoring can work on
non-x-over headers, or attachment posting or server collating are added, I
expect that dynamic reallocation of tasks will remain the biggest development
I've seen since I've been with PAN.  (Switching to gtk2 and getting
customized hotkeys back were also pretty big, but the switch isn't the same
as adding a major new feature, and getting hotkey customization back was a
regression fix, not a new feature.  Getting an open function back would be
nice as well, but that'd be a regressing fix too..)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin