pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: deleteing old headers (was: Pan's memory usage...)

From: Anthony
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: deleteing old headers (was: Pan's memory usage...)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:49:46 -0800

cav <address@hidden> wrote:

> I seem to remember a newsreader which had some special
> settings concerning purging of old headers. (I think it
> was Forte Agent) You defined your purge rules differently
> based on whether or not the article was cached, and whether or
> not it still existed on the server... (a header for which the
> article was cached could be kept...)  I think what it did was
> at the time it went to download articles, it first checked what the
> earliest one was on the server, and deleted all the headers older
> than that.  This elimiated the server missing articles problem...

That *is* Forte Agent. The choices for purging articles differed for
"read" and "unread", and one choice for each was "when article no longer
available on server".

That's just one of the things which makes Agent the second-best newsreader
for Linux. And still a close second.

> Maybe pan needs to do something along those lines...

Yes, please!!

Anthony
--
"SCSI is *not* magic. There are *fundamental* *technical* *reasons* why
you have to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain every now and then."