pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan's memory usage...

From: Gollum
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan's memory usage...
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:52:03 +0100 (CET)

Charles Kerr wrote:
> Toby A Inkster wrote:
> > Charles Kerr wrote:
> > > Last night I put in the often-requested "purge articles older than
> > > N days" feature into Edit|Preferences|Behavior.  The default is 14
> > > days. Unless you've got a *REALLY* good server, I doubt articles
> > > older than that are still on the server.
> >
> > news.cis.dfn.de keeps articles for 26 days usually. 158 days for
> > some groups, such as gnu.*
> > [...]
>
> Maybe this needs to be a per-server setting...?

For one server, the retention often varies depending on hierarchy,
as Toby indicated.

For instance, alt.binaries.* may have a retention of a few days or a
week, local/national groups (de.*, fr.*, no.*, alt.nl.*, depending on
country) a few months, ISP-specific groups (tiscali.no.*) over a year,
and the rest two or three weeks.
At least that's roughly how it works for my ISPs.

Thus I think this should be a combined per-hierarchy/per-server
setting.  If that's too complicated, a per-group/per-server setting
may work, but configuring requires more work.

Introducing options per hierachy may also be useful for specifying
language (for spellchecking) and profile.  So a Dutch user can use a
profile with a Dutch attribution, signature and spellchecking on the
nl.* and alt.nl.* groups, and English for the rest.

Få din egen @start.no-adresse gratis på http://www.start.no/