pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Network connection reset

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Network connection reset
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 04:57:01 -0700

On Tue 25 Feb 2003 21:09, Kevin posted as excerpted below:
> Anyone having a problem with the connection count not resetting even though
> all tasks are done?
>
> I download articles/groups, switch to a different server, click "get new
> articles in subscribed..", and it errors out with too many connections.
>
> Version: 0.13.3.93

This is as designed.  PAN has a keep-alive function that maintains the
connections for some time after use, in case you want to use them again.  Of
course, if you have a second logical server set up with the same physical
server, and switch to it, it's going to cause the problem you mention,
because the others aren't timed out yet.  If you look at the log, it will
eventually say disconnecting after X seconds unused, or some such, I forget
the exact wording and number of seconds.  However, if you wait that long w/o
using the connection b4 attempting the d/l on the second server, it should
work.

It would be nice if this timeout period was configurable...  Any possibility
of that, Charles?

> Which brings up another point - How come Pan hasn't been version 1.0 yet?
> :) It seems to me to be way beyond a version 1.0 at least!

I believe the idea is similar to what happened to Mozilla.  It was usable for
some time before version 1.0 came out, but they didn't call it 1.0, because
it was lacking certain features and buggy in others.  Unlike the
proprietary-ware world, it seems 1.0 means a decently working 1.0 product, in
much of open source, not that it's now ready for beta testing.  A 1.0 product
of this type would probably match a 4.0 proprietary-ware product, on
MSWormOS, or whatever.  (Think Windows 4.0, which was Windows 95, or IE/OE
4.0, where it really hit its stride, etc.  Of course, then you have the no .0
product, which would bring us to Windows 4.1, aka Windows 98, which was when
many folks judged Windows to have enough bugs worked out to finally be out of
beta, and said MS should have provided it free to all who'd paid full price
for a previous "beta grade" OS.)

As for PAN, from what I've read in the road map and in Charles' posts, before
it goes 1.0, they want to have several features not yet working included and
reasonably bug free.  The biggest of these is likely to be multi-server
support, along the lines of BNR2, which is now on hold pending the database
upgrade to an SQLite style, compatible with MySQL, for those wishing to use
that for additional data mining of their PAN news data.  Additionally, full
posting ability is to be included, both single part and multi-part.  Finally,
we have scoring rather than filtering, which is what Charles is working on
now, for post 0.13.4, with the next releases chalked out to be 0.13.9.9x, the
0.14 betas, I believe, and scoring on the map to be included by 0.14.0.

IOW, by the time PAN hits official 1.0 status, it's going to DEFINITELY be one
"Pimp-Ass Newsreader", living up to its name in full.  Currently, it's good,
but by 1.0, there should be no question that it is indeed a "Pimp-Ass
Newsreader".  That's the goal, anyway.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin