pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring on Message-ID & arbitrary headers

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring on Message-ID & arbitrary headers
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:31:56 -0800

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 05:03:11PM -0700, Duncan wrote:
> On Fri 21 Feb 2003 03:43, Brian Morrison posted as excerpted below:
> > Any chance of being able to do this based on article ID, so for instance
> > if article-ID from bozo is in the References header then score =-9999? I
> > find I often see quoted crap from morons that I want to filter out in
> > certain threads but scoring simply on poster's identity doesn't help.
>
> If you look closely at the screenshot, it's already there.  See the criteria
> area References checkbox?  See the message ID listed in the textbox (grayed
> out because the checkbox isn't checked, but it's there)?

Yes, though currently it's only scoring on References:, rather than
Message-ID, so you'd be limited to scoring (from the GUI, anyway)
replies, rather than on a regular expression in the Message-ID header.
Perhaps that should go in right under References in the "add score" dialog?

> I commented in the devel list thread on this that I liked that
> feature, although from exactly the opposite reason you do.  Thread
> can be set to ignore, now, and ignore subthread would improve on that,
> but the binary yes/no arbitrariness of the current solution doesn't
> offer enough flexibility for me.  If I could score anything with
> specific msg-id in the references as -100, say, but had already
> scored some favorite authors as +200, it would score the general
> (sub-)thread down out of display range, except for authors
> I like to follow, which is exactly the type of behavior I want.

Yup. :)

> I'd still like to see filtering/scoring on arbitrary headers, however, as
> well as message body content, and anywhere in the post (headers and body).
> KMail allows this sort of filtering, and I find it very helpful.  Scoring
> would be even MORE flexible.  (As an example, I'd like the abilty to
> match on nntp-posting-host, where present, as that is often far less
> user changeable than author and subject, which can be repeatedly changed
> to avoid PAN's currently extremely limited filtering.)

I will eventually get to scoring/filtering on arbitrary headers,
it's not a high priority.  This is a lot more expensive in newsreaders
than in mailers, because instead of having the entire message like
mailers do, Pan only has what XOVER gives us -- number, message-id,
references, author, subject, lines, byte count, and usually xrefs.
Anything else is going to cost you a round trip to the server, or
a painfully slow search through cached articles.

That's not to say that it can't be done, or that it wouldn't be
useful.  But, just so that you know, there *is* a rationale for
only having limited criteria for now.

cheers,
Charles