pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature Request: configurable quoting character

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feature Request: configurable quoting character
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:25:56 -0800

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:56:48PM -0800, Eric Ortega wrote:

> === attempted post ===
>
>   so and so on some day wrote this:
>
>   > good job
>
>     :)
>
> ======================
>
> But, lo, PAN fought me viciously.  It said that it "looked like there was
> nothing new" ... !  And there was nothing I could do about it but throw in
> some non-art to pacify it.
>
> What can be done about this for the future?  Hardly pressing, but maybe
> instead of "Error! You suck!" a button along the lines of "I know,
> please post it anyway" could be added?

There are different levels of severity in the pre-posting checks --  some
of them are minor enough that Pan will ask you if you want to post anyway.

I guess the solution I like best for this is to remove Pan's ability
to treat anything other than '>' as a quote, because other quotes
cause trouble anyway.

Pan *could* compare the original article to the new one line-by-line to
guess new content, and that might also be the right way to go, but Pan
would have to take rewrapping into consideration then too.  hmmm..

Go ahead and file a bugzilla report on this.

cheers,
Charles