pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.13.3.92 download connections

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.13.3.92 download connections
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:51:38 -0700

On Sun 09 Feb 2003 17:14, Kevin posted as excerpted below:
> Is the referenced version using the new 'multiple connections for one
> binary' code?
>
> Reason I ask is I'm getting one binary at a time, and if I look in the log
> viewer it tries to download a second or third, but I get my news server
> message about "..only 3 connections per host allowed..".

Yes.  It is using all four connections here, on a single task, anyway.

Apologies if the following is going over stuff you checked already, and seems
a bit simplistic, but it never hurts to be sure..

Your error is only three connections per server allowed... you don't have PAN
configured for four connections per server, do you?  That'd get you the error
in the log.  (That setting is under Tools/NewsServers menu, whichever server
on the resulting dialog.)

Another possibility is that you have two servers in PAN, both set up to use
the same real server.  I do this for group categorizing purposes, and
occasionally forget I have connections on the same real server going already.

Finally, a connection may occasionally die, without properly being terminated.
This is especially likely on a bad or noisy analog connection (like dialup),
but may happen due to other factors as well.  When this happens, the server
doesn't realize that connection is dead until its timeout expires.  During
the period until timeout of the dead connection, you won't be able to make
another one to fill that hole, so you will effectively be limited to two
connections (or one, if two are dead but not timed out, etc).

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin