pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: merge groups.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: merge groups.
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 00:22:06 -0700

On Tue 07 Jan 2003 23:37, Chris Petersen posted as excerpted below:
> Sounds cool to me, though I'd settle for the ability to delete articles
> across groups.  Pan currently recognizes "read" status against
> cross-posted articles, but not deletions or downloads.  Would be nice to
> not have to see articles I've already deleted elsewhere.

??  That all works here, and has since 0.11.x at least, AFAIK.  Cross-posted
articles link to the same cached articles once they download, and once
downloaded, marked read, or deleted, in one group, they are the same in the
other groups as well.

I suspect what you are seeing is either multi-posted articles (posted
separately to each group, not cross-posted as the same message to multiple
groups), which because they are actually different messages, not the same
one, are indeed tracked separately, or on downloading, possibly a race
condition, such that two d/l threads are downloading the same thing at the
same time, or you scheduled the one for d/l b4 deleting it from the other
group.  (PAN will skip the d/l if it sees it already there, but if two
threads happen to be on the same post at the same time, the second one starts
d/ling it b4 the first one finishes so the second one doesn't see it's
already there before it starts.  The same idea applies to downloads scheduled
but not done when a file is deleted, I believe, altho it may still not show
up on the group view when you load it again, and I'm not sure what happens to
the "orphaned" message in the cache.  Hopefully it's deleted in some sort of
garbage cleanup, eventually.)

How do I know it works?  Because on downloading, I can go to the other group
and see the cross-posted articles already marked for download, or already
downloaded if it's finished that task.  In addition, I can set it to download
a bunch including the x-posted ones, and when it gets to those, the progress
indicator takes a huge leap over the already downloaded ones.  Likewise with
deletions. If a group has X overviews, and I visit another group with some
crossposts to the first and delete them in the second, then go back to the
first, the overview count again "magically" jumps down to the correct count,
adjusting properly for the cross-posted ones deleted in the second group.  Of
course, as I said, multi-posted messages that are actually different
messages, different message ID and all, don't get downloaded or marked read,
because they aren't even the same messages, whether they have the same
content or not.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin